Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Art Journals and Magazines: in the East !

It is raining cats and dogs; tomorrow will be the same! I wrapped my shawl tight around me, studying in the Fine Arts Library.

I am working on my final project for the Art Journals and Magazines class, View (published from 1940 to 1947). I really like this class; our readings are on basic notions of Culture, Hegemony, Intellectual, Institutions and Formations. We study arts and literary magazines as cultural and intellectual productions mostly through our readings of Sartre, Gramsci, Bourdieu, Williams, and others who build up on Marxism Cultural theories.

What is fascinating is to see the role of Marxism in the development of intellectual properties (here, as magazines) not only in the West but also in the East; the contribution of Marxist ideas in the modern literature of Iran is indisputable. The Huge number of publications – translations and original works, critical and creative writings – in Iran (like other parts of the world) for many decades were touched deeply by leftist ideas. To study how intellectuals, artists and writers reacted to these ideas, whether agreeing or criticizing is very interesting! I really like to make a comparative study between Iranian arts and literature journals and Iran’s neighboring countries like Turkey! It will be exciting to see the result!

It is still raining hard; my Shawl is not enough to keep me warm anymore, I need a cup of hot tea.


Bukhara Magazine Cover, No.57, 2006
Bahram Bayzai photo on the cover


2 comments:

مسعود said...

سلام دوست هنرمند من
راستش دو روز پیش که پاسخ یادداشت مهرآمیزت را در آن باغ کذایی با تاخیر دادم،با خودم فکر کردم من چرا به تو "تمشک هنرپرور" خطاب می کنم.یک قرینه به کار هنری تو مربوط است ولی تمشک چرا؟بنابراین از باب :"الاسم هو عین المسمی"خطاب را عوض کردم.اما دیگر:مدینه گفتی و کردی کبابم.با دیدن مجله بخارا یاد مطلبی افتادم که داستانیست پر آب چشم.چون متضمن نام بردن از اشخاص است،روا نمیدانم اینجا به عیان بنویسم.به آدرس مخلص یک تقه بزن برایت می نویسم داستان را:
rastymd@gmail.com
پایدار باشی

Tameshk said...

Masoud Jan
I have sent an email to you and I am waiting to hear your story: I like to know more about this magazine!