Thursday, September 13, 2007

Caffe Strada & The Traveling Curse

The sun is out: a rare thing in the Berkeley that I’ve seen so far. I am in Caffe Starda. In the second week of September I am still trying to escape the curse of this summer: The Traveling Curse. The Traveling Curse is a curse worse than the Cruciatus Curse. In my book Traveling Curse is under the unforgivable-unforgettable section.

After going back and forth between Florence and Tehran, all summer long, now I am going back to Princeton from Berkeley. If you ask me how I ended up at Berkeley I shall say: in the worst possible way: by Driving Now I will stop talking about this worst curse of all; I’ve already nagged enough.

Lets turn to some movies:

The Bourne Ultimatum (2007): A good and engaging action and as the third of a trilogy it was an A movie.
The Simpsons Movie (2007): Although it was Funny, it was still a TV show and there was no need in seeing it in Cinema Theater.
Harry Patter and the Order of Phoenix (2007): So far it is the best movie in Harry Potter series. The performances are perfect: in particular Imelda Staunton’s portrayal of Dolores Umbridge. David Yates directed masterfully. He knows were to cut the story short and how to maneuver in the open parts of the story.
Ratatouille (2007): A good animation with a nice message: "Anyone can cook." Also Auguste Gusteau’s ghost was hilarious.
Venus (2006): Though a repetitive theme in a very usual setting should make any movie a boring one, Venus was painfully factual.

And now some audiobooks:

Life of Pi by Yann Martel: I had read the book last year, but this time, while driving across the country, I listened to its audiobook and loved it. The narrator, Jeff woodman performed beautifully.
The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant was also interesting - both the story and the narration.
Historian by Elizabeth Kostova has a very tacky story. The only good thing was that it has more than one performer so in the long hours of driving you wouldn’t go to sleep. But the novel itself is really bad. Don’t bother with it if you are not under the Traveling Curse.


Caffe Strada, Berkeley, September 2007


1 comment:

Nazy said...

Ah Tameshk Jan, Jat Khalieh! Did you find that ticket? If you lived near me, I would have dragged you off to Mr. Shahabi's pottery studio on Tuesday and to a book reading by Zara Houshmand tonight! I hope all your travels are safe and full of wonderful memories. I miss you.