Sunday, June 17, 2007

Land of Art: Italy

I am in Italy at last. As I have predicted, Italy is beautifully decorated with art, religion and history. And as I have imagined Italians are extremely warm and welcoming. I am in Pisa University Library right now. It is amazing how far a Princeton University ID card can take one in less than a minute.

Before my flight landed in Roma and during those sleepless hours in the airplane I thought about things that we mostly hear about Italy: from art historical facts to stereotypes. We hear a lot about Italy, and here, allow me to confirm them all: From countless Italian artists, architects and musicians to their well-respected filmmakers and writers, from their super-powerful football players (read soccer player) to their many rebels, from Italian food and drink to Italian fashion and shoes, these are all true. The only thing which I decided to count as a stereotype was mafia and that is only because I want to feel safe while I am here. While in Italy, I have decided not to base my plans on touristic guides. So I will spend some time in Firenze (Florence) and Roma (Rome) and then I will start wondering around in small cities and villages. I will go to the places that I have read about in novels and seen in films. Unfortunately I cannot visit the imaginary ones like Fontamara, but I am seriously considering visiting Eboli, not only because of the famous book, Christ Stopped At Eboli by Carlo Levi, but also because of the superb movie based on the same book by Francesco Rosi.


At Florance even sparrows are poetic:


Sharing lunch with a little Sparrow, Florance, June 2007






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tameshk Jan:

How fabulous to be in Firenze. I know that city and have many memories of it! In fact, I have dear relatives who live there and if you need anything, you can go to them! I know what you mean about everything looking poetic and artistic there! It's true. Enjoy yourself and your time in a place I am convinced was kissed by angels, turning it into a magical location!

Tameshk said...

Nazy joonam

Thanks for your offer; Your relatives are living in haven indeed.

It is amazing in Florance. I have visited also Lucca and Pisa. They were both nice.

Anonymous said...

Tameshk Jan: Don't worry too much about the news. Please enjoy your well-deserved respite from the grinds of daily life. Enjoy the country of art, where even foods are presented as an art form! I watched a woman hang clothes on a line in her backyard in Florence many years ago. She had a beautifully put together purple outfit on, complete with a purple barret in her hair and purple slippers! I went to buy a tiramisu dessert and the woman took for ever to wrap it in gift paper, put a ribbon on it, and then to put curls on the ribbons! Those cafes, oh those cafes, serving those bitter espressos! So clean and gorgeous. Enjoy it my dear and be good.

معصوم said...

Salam Roja e aziz,
I would be happy to meet you in Trieste (near Venice), have a nice time in Italy.