Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Last Day of 2006

In the last day of 2006 I thought I write about my last intellectual activities in 2006.

The last book that I read in 2006 was Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler. It is the beginning of a series of crime novels, which I like very much. The most recent books that I am reading (listening to) nowadays are Marx Sisters by Barry Maitland and the audio book for Of Mice & Men by John Steinbeck. Of Mice & Men was my nighttime story when I was 8, I sometimes think it was a strange choice for that age but I loved it. I really was into Lenny then. I just wanted someone to read it to me once more so I get its audio performance. My mom read a lot to me when I was a kid, and I don’t mind re-hearing them since I miss her a lot.

The last movie I saw in 06 was Blood Diamond (2006) directed by Edward Zwick, who also directed, The Last Samurai (2003) and Glory (1989) and the producer of Shakespeare In Love (1998). Blood Diamond is what I call a Moral Drama-Thriller. It is a thriller, concerned with humanitarian problems, war and desperation; now add to it an attractive journalist and let it be happening in Africa the “God-Forgotten Continent”. The movie, I believe is a nice fictional narration of Blood Diamonds a nonfiction book, which was published about the bloodshed behind the smuggled diamonds from Africa to Europe and America written by a freelance journalist, Greg Campbell. However the screenplay and the story are written by Charles Leavitt. Leonardo DiCaprio’s performance is beautiful and I think he deserves an Oscar for it as well as for his role in Departed.

The last photo project that I did in 06 was a set of 8 self-portraits. I don’t like to be photographed at all, but I wanted to send some pictures back home so I took them myself. And the last time I opened a dictionary in 06 was about 30 minutes ago to look at the meaning of Philanthropic.

The last meal I cooked was Khoresh-te- Geyme. I am still thinking about cooking meatloaf for tonight, we might as well go out for dinner so it is not clear what will be our last meal in 2006.

Now I have to study which will be the last study of 06.

Happy 2007!


View from Washington Monument, Washington DC


P.S. Finally I cooked two dishes: Meatloaf and Basil-Shrimp-Angel Hair Pasta and our friends have come over and of course the talk of the night is Saddam Hussein’s sudden execution and memories of Iran-Iraq war.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

salam azize delam.mer30 az tabriket.khosh be halet roja joonam delam lak zade baraye inke dar nahayate aramesh beshinamo bedune daghdaghe ye ketab bekhunam baraye dele khodam :( jaye manam ketab bekhuno doaa kon be un arameshi ke mikham beresam.delam ye donyaa barat tange .booooooos