Monday, February 06, 2006

Princeton

Since November, when I came to live in Princeton, I wanted to write about the city and the university of Princeton. It happens that I have more time and more motivation to write about it now, especially after the difficulty of finding a proper Beauty Salon, meaning skilled and with reasonable price.

Princeton is a glossy European-format expensive American city. Paying extra for everything shouldn’t be a surprise since you are in PRINCETON. You feel lucky when the service you get is as worthy as the money you pay. Restaurants around here are not good at all and no matter how many times I repeat this, it does not change the fact. The outcome of living in Princeton is either to pass away with long hairs or pay a high price and become a PrincetonIAN. I am in the conversion time right now; neither I have died nor I have become PrincetonIAN.

There are things that I like about Princeton: Above all is the cleanness of the city that I like; you don’t need to check were you put your steps, tables and benches; they are all clean. The public library is the shiniest of all public libraries that I’ve seen in New Haven, New York and Stony Brook (Setauket Public Library is fairly clean but not shiny). There is also Princeton University Art Museum, which is a quiet and nice place. The city ambiance and architecture makes you wonder about the history of the place. Princeton University is the fourth-oldest institution to conduct higher education in the United States. Princeton was founded in 1746 by the “New Light” (evangelical) Presbyterians in Elizabeth, NJ; it was originally intended to train ministers. In 1756 the college moved to Princeton and the name was officially changed from The College of New Jersey to Princeton University at 1896 under John Witherspoon.

Witherspoon is also the name of a street full of expensive stores, and the shiny public library; so goes on Princeton's tradition.

No comments: