Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Art History Lecture Series: Dr. James Cuno

Just got my locker and carrel at the Fine Arts Library; ate the rest of my morning bagel and cheese for lunch and before getting back to my readings I thought of some blogging:

There is a lecture at 6pm at Avaya Auditorium at UT by James Cuno, the director of Art Institute of Chicago. It is a public lecture, so if you are around, come; it will be very interesting. The lecture is about the concerns regarding museums' role as cultural institutes: "Museums are repositories of our common artistic legacy as human beings. As such, they can serve as a force for understanding, tolerance, and the dissolution of ignorance and superstition about the world."

I am also preparing for a presentation assignment on The Tiger’s Eye, an art and literature magazine published from 1947 to 1949 in US. It was founded and published by poet, Ruth Stephan and her painter husband, John Stephan. The title was chosen by Ruth, motivated by “The Tyger” (1794), a poem by William Blake (1757 - 1827) an English poet and painter.

The opening verses of The Tyger:

"Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?"



The Tyger, William Blake, 1794


PS. I am behind on updating Tameshk Film Club, it was partly because of our move and partly because of my laziness; I hope to get to it soon.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to having news from Tameshk Film Club soon!
And the magazin sounds very nice! I liked the picture...

Take care Roja jan and keep writing.

Anonymous said...

salaam:)...The film club will be here or in a separate blog?

Tameshk said...

Parinaz Jan
Sorry for the delay on the film club; The Tigers Eye is a very interesting Little magazine indeed.

Dear Anonymous
You can interact with Tameshk film club both here and via Facebook.