Sunday, March 05, 2006

From the Ash Wednesday to The Oscar Night

Last Wednesday was that time of year again, Ash Wednesday. I was in New York finding my way trough the crowd under the ground when I saw the first ashed forehead. After I located the first forehead they kept appearing one after the other. I realized that it is the fifth year in a row that I happened to be in New York on Ash Wednesday and ashed foreheads in New York isn’t yet a usual scene for me. Maybe if it was in Iran it wouldn’t be that unusual; since many times people, especially in small towns, mourn and show their sadness by placing mud, ash or dust on their heads. It was 10:20 am when I finally got to 50th street and I came out of subway and on the ground. Oh! It is good to be on top of everything specifically ON THE TOP OF GROUND. I went to MOMA to visit an exhibition: Without Boundary, seventeen ways of looking.

It was a very good exhibition organized by Freshteh Daftari. I liked works by Mona Hatoum and Jananne Al-Ani. I love their brave humor in presenting the world that they grew up in: the Islamic World. I admire their gentle criticism built up on their knowledge, their homeland, their people and their believes. If you happen to be in New York this exhibition is up until May 22, 2006.

There is another exciting exhibition on Art Gallery of The Graduate Center, located in the first floor in GC, Fifth Ave. between 34th and 35th street: Technique Detours: the early Moholy Nagy Reconsidered. It will be up through March and I will be there on Thursdays.

Last night I used my last chance before the Oscar to see Brokback Mountain directed by Ang Lee. I enjoyed it and I think it is a good film; not only because of a controversial subject (Gay Cowboy Story) or beautiful landscape-scenes (which dose play a very important roll on its Oscar nominations) but also it is good because it has been well written, directed and played. The middle and the ending were perfectly placed. I didn’t like the way cowboys start their homosexual relationship; I think it was too sudden as if the director couldn’t wait a little bit longer; but nonetheless I liked the movie.

I hope you enjoy the Oscar results.




Jananne Al-Ani, 2002


Mona Hatoum, Prayer Mat, 1995

No comments: