Monday, July 12, 2010

Barton Springs!

Austin's summer is as usual warm to my always cold skin, and frustratingly hot for many with normal body temperature. My day started early in Houston with a nice breakfast and one hour of wandering around in Half Price Books, then a three-hour drive back to Austin, and it will end most probably in Chickpea Chateau after a light dinner. But at this moment I am enjoying a nice breeze in Barton Springs Pool.

"Mondays are quiet at Barton Springs!" at least this is what the tall talkative man who is sitting fifteen feet behind me tells his pal. He has a damp voice; it sounds like he needs to blow his nose. Their zinging voice makes me to unkindly think, "Hm, it would be a quiet Monday at Barton Springs if they kept their comments to themselves." I look at the chilling water. I experienced its therapeutic iciness for the first time last week, in my third summer in Austin.

Today however I am only a viewer. Some fearlessly jump in; some hesitate for a while and then with a calculated braveness let go of themselves and jump into the cold fresh water. My eyes are stalking this particular young man. Slender with puffy brown eyes, as if something just dragged him out of a faraway dream. He looks back at me right before he jumps in. I keep looking at him. He swims away. From time to time I catch a glimpse of his brown symmetrical head, vanishing into the horizon of this man-made cemented rectangle; a failed attempt in taming the wildness of fresh water. He is gone. The spring keeps running wild.

Barton Springs, aerial map, Austin


2 comments:

مسعود said...

سلام دوست من
از خواندن این پست یکی دو نکته به نظرم رسید.واقعاً آنجا هم کتاب نیم بها می فروشند؟کیفیت کتاب از نظر جلد و شیرازه و .... اینها چطور است؟ ممنونم.

Tameshk said...

مسعود عزیز
بله اینجا کتاب نو خیلی گرون تر از کتاب دست دو است و کتاب فروشی های بسیاری کتاب دست دو میفروشند. خیلی هاشون سرویس های انلاین هم میدن. این کتاب فروشی خاص سرویس انلاین نداره ولی کتاب های هنری اش خیلی گسترده است. معمولا هم کتاب های دست چندمشون کیفیتش بالاست و جلد و شیرازه اش گاهی دست نخورده و نو ست.